Sunday 10 November 2013

‘My Next Target Is To Build An Aeroplane’ - 17-Yr-Old Engineering Prodigy Says

A 17-year-old secondary school student, Ismaila Suraju, has built a planting machine and a locally-made power generator that uses water and batteries, among others.

The boy doesn't plan to stop, he says his next goal is to build an aeroplane. Ismaila also claims to have a know-how to create a gadget that can frustrate election riggers in Nigeria.

When the student was younger, he had to make a pair of slippers out of a cardboard to protect his feet from the scorching soil of the farm path.

The necessity of protecting his face from the sun also made him create a baseball cap, then cars, train, grinding machines, all with the same cardboard.

Half way through his secondary education, Suraju graduated into using aluminum sheets in making not only miniature automobiles, such as fire extinguishing vans, excavators, but a large size planting machine that can be used for planting, as well.

"Anything I see, I will like to do. We went for competition. I saw some people do a motorcycle they were riding. I said I would do a planting machine in a form of a vehicle that a person can drive. I thought in our country we don't have planting machines. Farmers are suffering. Then I took iron and aluminum sheets. I first did a small one that a small boy can enter. Then I did a bigger one. I used wheelbarrow tyres, iron from metal bed, electric motor and motorcycle gearbox to make it," the teenager says.

Suraju has managed to embody several ideas of his and now plans to develop new projects for the benefit of the country. "I want to be a mechanical engineer. I want technology to go forward in our country, Nigeria. We need to develop technology. I want to make a bigger excavator that human beings can enter, and it will be working," Suraju says.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Favorites More