Thursday 3 October 2013

Business man arrested with 6kg Of Cocaine at the airport

A textile trader was apprehended by NDLEA officers at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport for reportedly hiding almost 6 kg of cocaine inside laptop bags.

The suspect, 32, was named as Emujue Chimaobi John Paul, hails from Anambra state. He allegedly concealed 5.745kg of cocaine inside laptop bags returning from São Paulo, Brazil.

National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) officials said the suspect was apprehended on arrival during the inward screening of the passengers.

The estimated street value of cocaine reaches N57,000,000.

NDLEA Lagos Airport Commander Mr. Hamza Umar says the suspect would have escaped, if not for the efforts of officers who cut the laptop bags.

The investigation has started, and the suspet will soon face the court.

The suspect was described as a single school dropout; he himself says it was "frustration" that made him attempt to smuggle drugs.

Emujue Chimaobi John Paul narrates: "I am a textile merchant.

"Since 2003, I have been dealing in textiles in Togo.

"In 2011, I relocated to Brazil in search of greener pastures. Unfortunately, my business did not flourish as I had expected. In fact, I was even living from hand to mouth.

"I was told that I could make enough money from drug trafficking to invest in my business. That was how I was convinced to give it a trial and I was arrested in the process."

NDLEA chairman, Ahmadu Giade, commended the officers for the arrest.

"The agency will continue to arrest drug traffickers and charge them to court. This arrest is commendable. Members of the public must note that it is wrong to raise capital from drug trafficking because anyone that ventures into the criminal act will end up regretting in jail," Giade warned.

He urged stakeholders to partner with the agency in the fight against drug trafficking, money laundering and other related crimes.

-->




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Favorites More