Tuesday 26 September 2017

Lawyers Call for Arrest of Lawmaker Over Sexual Abuse of Widow

Lawyers of a widow, Mercy Ilesanmi, who alleges she was sexually and physically harassed by a lawmaker identified as Dare Pelemo in Ekiti state, on Tuesday, said a petition had been forwarded to Ekiti Sate Commissioner of Police, Ibrahim Chafe, calling for the arrest of the lawmaker.

The International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) in the state has reportedly also demanded the immediate arrest and prosecution of the lawmaker on allegations of sexual harassment and physical assault on Ilesanmi.

The accused lawmaker, who represents Ekiti East Constituency 2, is said to have fondled the woman’s breasts on September 6, at the Assembly complex.

Part of her statement reads:

“I came to visit the honourable member representing my constituency, Hon. Samuel Omotoso but I met his absence.

“On my way out, I met Hon. Dare Pelemo and we exchanged pleasantries. Immediately, he fondled my breasts and I asked him what was the meaning of that, I am a married woman for that matter and I don’t like how he touched my breast.

“He now said that I am an enemy of government, that I do not suppose to come to the Assembly. I now asked him that, is that the reason why you are touching my breasts, a married woman for that matter? I challenged him that Pelemo, that one is too much for you.

“I went to report the matter to Hon Akinyele and I met the Clerk in Hon Akinyele’s office with two other visitors with him. He was on phone but I waited.”

She added that the lawmaker emerged with some thugs, who started beating her and destroying things in the office, asking her what she was doing at the House of Assembly complex.

FIDA legal officer in the state, Kemi Atitebi, disclosed on Tuesday that the body received a complaint of sexual harassment and assault of Mrs. Ilesanmi against Pelemo, but the legislator shunned the invitation to come and defend himself against the allegation.

It was gathered that Pelemo did not respond to several phone calls to his mobile line and has also not replied to text messages sent to him, Daily Trust reports.

Sexual harassment, especially as it concerns women, is a menace that every right-thinking human being must condemn. It is as a result of this that the renowned Nollywood actress, Rita Dominic, once slammed Nigerian popular comedians, AY and Helen Paul, for normalising sexual assault against women.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Favorites More